Wednesday 16 March 2011

Make-up Review: The Perfect Gel Eyeliner


So last weekend I headed down to Superdrug to pick up a few bits and pieces. I came away with a primer, a gel eyeliner and an eyebrow pencil. Today I decided to let you know what I thought of them.

I’ve been looking for a really good Gel Eyeliner for months. I had my eye on the Bobbi Brown one but it’s not quite in my budget. I had a £5 No7 Boots voucher to use up so decided I would try out their Limited Edition Gel Eyeliner. Unfortunately it was sold out (except for the turquoise, but that’s hardly an ‘everyday’ colour now is it) and the No7 lady told me that as it was Limited Edition they were not sure when they would be getting it back in stock, if at all. Disheartened, I trudged out of the shop. My hopes of ever finding the perfect Gel Eyeliner on a budget had been dashed. As I headed into Superdrug and strolled down the make-up aisle, it hit me. I had seen an advert for the new Maybelline eyeliner in one of my magazines the day before. I hadn’t paid much attention at the time, but as it stood there in front of me, my hopes began to rise once more. ‘Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner’ - The photo on the box was pleasing, the description matched what I was looking for AND it was on offer at an introductory price of just £5.99. Jackpot.

What do Maybelline say about it?
• Oil-free formula holds highly concentrated pigments in a clear gel base
• Smudge-proof and waterproof for 24 hours
• Most intense line for lasting drama                                                  
• Safe for sensitive eyes and ophthalmologist-tested
• Contact lens safe
-          www.maybelline.com

I have used it several times since and can honestly say…. It’s the one. It’s blacker than black, it lasts all day, its easy to apply with the fabulous little brush (that comes with it) and it’s a reasonable price - even without the introductory offer. It also comes in 3 other colours (which I imagine I will be snapping up very soon).

I also purchased the ‘Studio Secrets Smoothing Resurfacing Primer’. I have never used a primer before but recently I have been more and more intrigued by them. I tested both the L’Oreal primer and the GOSH Velvet Touch Primer on the back of my hand. Although the GOSH primer was cheaper, I much preferred the feel of the L’Oreal one. It is rather expensive for just a small pot BUT I only use a tiny bit each day so would imagine it should last for quite a while. It also helps that it’s a rather lovely shade of pink.
What do L’Oreal say?

“This primer masks wrinkles and uneven textures in the skin, making the complexion incredibly smooth with a velvety touch. Skin feels soft as if resurfaced.”

I definitely agree with this description. My skin felt so soft after applying this Primer and my foundation lasted all day with that ‘freshly applied’ look. I am officially a convert to Primers.

Lastly I purchased an eyebrow pencil from Collection 2000, a make-up range I haven’t used since I was 14. What drew me to this pencil in particular? At a price tag of just £2.99 it was a steal but the main reason was for the colour.
I have naturally dark hair and I find eyebrow pencils often don’t match my colouring very well. They’re either far too dark, making it look like I have mistaken my eyeliner for my eyebrow pencil or they’re far too light. Like Goldilocks before me, I found my perfect colour in the ‘dark brown’ supplied by Collection 2000. It matches up so well and looks so natural which is exactly what I want.

Well that’s my little review of these 3 products. Of course this is just my opinion. After all, what I want from a Gel Eyeliner or Primer may not be your cup of tea. Having used all 3 products and being wowed by all 3, I thought I’d share my thoughts with you. Sorry there are no pictures to demonstrate but my camera’s broken :/ Hope this has helped some of you, let me know if it has!

No comments:

Post a Comment