Thursday 10 March 2011

Confessions of a Temp…

When I graduated from university in July 2010, I was all set to enter the world of work. I went from being a student to being a ‘Customer Service Advisor’ at the head office of a well known mobile phone retailer. I was there for just 2 months before I simply could not take anymore. It was a soul destroying job (this is a strong statement but it’s true). Endless calls from mean people who wanted nothing more in the world than to scream down their receiver at me. I was offered the Customer Service position just before I graduated, so naively assumed that I would jump straight into the next job without a hitch. Unfortunately, that’s not how it worked out. I went for 5 long months without so much as flicker of interest from any prospective employers. I sent out hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of CV’s and application forms but to no avail. I signed on with an agency just after the New Year and they soon found me a temporary position in the administration department at a publishing company. A small, beige room filled with cardboard boxes. Not the most thrilling place to work but it gives me a bit of money and something to do during the days. Although an ‘admin’ position, the job basically consists of packing up letters and orders. Sadly my hands are taking the brunt for me braving a bit of manual labour. I have paper cuts on top of paper cuts, my nails haven’t been painted in 2 months as they chip within 5 minutes of walking through the door and I have to save my nice clothes for the weekends.
Last Wednesday the company told me and the other temp that we wouldn’t be needed anymore. I was a little bit relieved, it had already been 2 weeks longer than I was originally told and I was starting to wonder whether I would ever find a permanent job. 1 week, 5 re-runs of ANTM and 4 Costa Coffee’s later, I received a call from the agency. The publishing company had called and had another couple of weeks work if I was interested. Although it means waiting even longer for a permanent job, it’s a few extra pennies to spend in the charity/coffee shops that fill my life with such joy. It was my first day back today and there wasn’t really that much work to do. I definitely can’t see it lasting 2 weeks anyway.
On a lighter note, with the time off that I had I managed to get on with some jewellery making. I headed down to the local haberdashery and picked up some Nylon thread, some pink pearls, a pack of 3 earring posts/backs, a bag of alphabet cubes and some little flowers all for £6. So far I have made a bracelet and 2 pairs of earrings which I’m rather pleased with.

Sorry about the terrible photo quality, these were taken on my Blackberry :/



It’s payday tomorrow so I think I’ll have another rummage at the weekend to see what other goodies I can pick up. Let me know what you think! More photos soon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment